Monday, September 6, 2010

Coupon Queen I am not..

So since Tegan ran a fever ALL WEEKEND I had a lot of time at home to avoid doing the things that really needed to be done. We are a four person household but somehow I think we eat more than a 8 person household. I'm not sure that we eat a lot or that we just aren't very smart shoppers:) Seriously...there have been times that I have went to the grocery store and spent records amount of money, get home and realize there isn't one complete meal in the kitchen but you bet there is a really good super fatty snack in the pantry. Our grocery bill has been running about $175 and HIGHER (after Ingles advantage savings) every two weeks. When I say grocery bill I mean only food an drinks. This does not include any bathroom items, cleaning supplies or paper supplies. I buy all those at either walmart or my favorite addiction, Dollar General. So anyways I would spend $175 or more every other week at Ingles and yet we were still having to eat out about 3 to 4 times a weekend to make up for the lack of meals I bought:) Money, Money, Money...we are spending to much money. So I am hoping to change that. I mean a .50 cent coupon is .50 cents right? So why just ignore that and throw it away?? At least that is what I keep telling myself for motivation.
I planned for HOURS!!! I am not exaggerating when I say HOURS!!!! I have skimmed for coupons, used countless amounts of ink printing them from websites, compared sales and so on. I don't want to be that person that goes to 15 different places to get everything she needs but I think I will quickly become that person if need be.
So I was ready... armed with my coupons, shopping list, a hungry husband, a hyper daughter and a sick little boy (don't judge me...I gave him Tylenol and sat him in a buggy cover so he couldn't infect the next poor innocent child who sat in that buggy).
It was THE.LONGEST.GROCERY.TRIP.OF.MY.LIFE!!! Compare this and compare that. Match up this coupon with this deal. It is a lot of work to do this and I envy those who are so serious about it. In fact I wanted to be that person that says I just got $100 worth of groceries for $18.74. But I am sad to say that I am not that person. Everything we bought was on sale or had a coupon but yet we still spent way to much. I am happy to report that we saved $50!!! That is a huge amount. But somehow we still spent $138 and some change after the advantage savings and coupons. My goal was to get 2 weeks worth of groceries for just under $100 but that just didn't happen. Maybe next time!!! I'm going to work on it b/c at least we saved $50. I do have to admit that we got lots of food but I have to figure out a better system. I did have a small very successful Publix trip today that I will blog about later and I have a little CVS list but I really want to be able to cut my trips to just two different places.
Just to let you know, I have been using Southern Savers. They have an awesome website and she really guides you to the sales of the major grocery stores and pharmacies. So I am hoping that with more practice I can get this figured out. Go over and visit Southern Savers and get started.
If any one has any tips at all on how to better my coupon experience then I greatly appreciate it!

Oh and a Tegan update...the fever was gone today but lots of snot and a hacking cough were added. My husband thinks he is fine and I shouldn't take him to the dr. but I will be following my Mommy instincts in the morning and keeping him home from school and taking him to the dr. I don't want him to be sick but I do want to be right:)

No comments:

Post a Comment