Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Grey's Anatomy taught me about Choices

It is no shocker to most of you that I love TV. I talk about it a lot and yes, I am one of those people that talks about TV like it is real life. It''s not....Oh no, my whole life is a lie!!!

Anyways, Grey's Anatomy is one of my demons of choice when it comes to prime time TV. I love it. I live for it. I plan my nightly shower around it. But its not all bad, if you listen to the parts that Meredith are narrating you will hear advice. Advice about life and it is usually pretty darn good. This past weeks advice was about CHOICES and how everyday we make a choice to do things...for example: get out of bed, love the one you are with, deal with your kids like an adult and not sink to their level, etc... Now, remember everything I just said and let me fast forward to church on Sunday.

The sermon was about living and loving for God. He went on to talk about how in all things we do, it should be for God. His "story" for the day was about a time when him and his wife were having one of those three day long fights. She continued to do the small things for him that she always did every other day all while still being fighting mad at him. She went on to tell him that she was still mad at him, didn't like him very much right now but she loved God. So she moved forward only for God. Not don't take that as you should just stay with someone for God. When you have done all you can...you have just done all you can!

Now let's take what we learned from Grey's and what we learned from God's house and put them together. We make a choice. Some of us make bad choices and some of us good choices. I yell. It's what I know and it's what I do so when I get frustrated with my kids, I yell at them. I break their spirit every time I do it but it happens before I even know it is coming. I just yell. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I am pretty sure that they can't hear my voice unless I am yelling at them but in most situations I don't NEED to yell....I CHOOSE to yell. Would I yell at God? I prayed to God today to help me to learn to be a good parent for him. I need to do it for him...not for me or for you who set the standards for me. Of course I forgot all about that when I walked away from something cooking on the stove and came back to Tegan who had pulled a chair over, climbed up on the counter and was studying the popping grease that was coming from the pan. I also forgot all about it when Tegan was taking a yo yo and slinging it over his head which was then hitting our TV screen over and over again. Oh and I also forgot about it when while in the bathtub he took a giant cup of water, looked at me, smiled and proceeded to pour it in to the bathroom floor behind the toilet.

Then I started thinking about all the choices I make. I choose to worry about EVERY LITTLE TINY THING that God throws my way instead of just going with the flow. I choose to be totally unorganized. I choose to not give my husband credit for what he is doing. I choose to not be able to see my mom right now b/c the choice she made wasn't the choice I wanted her to make which in turn punishes her and me when we aren't the two who did anything wrong in the situation. Someone in my mom's life choose to make a decision that affects everyone. I choose every thought in my head. So maybe I can choose to change it. All of my choices should be made for God.

Romans 8:28 says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

So hopefully tomorrow I will CHOOSE to be a good parent for God and do a little better b/c bless my heart, today was a total wash!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this was so great!! I too am a "yeller". I grew up with a mom who yelled and now I do it. I am beginning to realize that I have got to do something about it!! Thank you for these words...

    ReplyDelete