Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Slow To Speak....

I looked back on my 2012 goals this morning and am happy to say that I think I achieved all of them.  Especially the one about simplifying my life.  When we moved this past summer, I probably sold, threw out or gave away over half of our house and so far, I haven't regretted it at all!  Life got very simple when my husband and I made the decision for me to come home and work out of the house so that we didn't have to hire anyone to take care of the kids during the summer.  Again, not regretting that decision at all and has been one of the best things I have ever done.  

This years "Goal" will sound very basic but will probably be the hardest thing ever.  I want to shut up.  Now don't get excited (my husband was disappointed too), I don't mean my gift for gab but I want to think before I speak. The Bible says "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," (James 1:19NIV) but I can tell you that I am so far from that.  I am a knee jerk reaction type girl.  I 100% wear my emotions on my sleeve and there is no hiding it and most of the time, there is no telling what will pop out of my mouth before I even realize it.  I sweat the small stuff and I let it aggravate me to the point of usually saying something I should have just kept to myself.  I always feel the need to try to fix something, change someones mind, explain myself, try to make them understand etc...  Well not anymore!  Or at least I am going to try to not speak before really thinking something through.  In these first 9 days of 2013, I have already had to just turn and walk away on several different occasions to prevent from saying something I shouldn't.  Bad thing is, I think you can still tell that I am aggravated because apparently I can't hide that yet. I let things anger me that really are no big deal in the long run.  I want to stop that.
Another verse I love is Proverbs 17:28... Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. 
I don't know if I will ever be deemed intelligent but I don't want to be labeled as a miserable person who angers others and lets little things eat at me.  
That is really the only goal I have for 2013.  That goal all by its self is already exhausting me:)
Of course Rylee set a goal to exercise to get healthy, not skinny and somehow she can't do it without me so I guess she set that goal for me and her.  That's OK though because I have two bikinis that I bought on clearance at the end of the summer and I have to be able to wear them by vacation time!!!! 

Happy 2013 everyone!!!  May my goal inspire you to keep your mouth shut and keep you out of trouble:)

No comments:

Post a Comment