Monday, January 28, 2013

I Kicked The Caffeine and Aspartame

For my entire life I have been addicted to caffeine.  I kid you not, I use to drink Coke out of a bottle when I was just a little one.  I have also suffered from headaches for as long as I can remember.  I had headaches as young as in the 2nd grade.  I don't just mean your little nagging headache, I am talking about the kind that put me in the bed and no amount of medicine would help.  I just had to sleep it off.  
As I got older, I became addicted to Diet Cokes.  Up until about 5 months ago, I was having headaches at least 4 to 7 days a week.  Yes, you read that right!  I once had a headache non stop for 3 straight weeks!  No matter what I did, I couldn't kick them.
So one day about 5 months ago I just decided to stop drinking caffeine drinks and see if that helps.  Now, I didn't get all crazy at the time and quit Coke products all together b/c I am so addicted that a meal doesn't taste the same when I can't have a Diet or regular Coke with it.  So I started drinking caffeine free Diet Coke.  I waited about three weeks to make sure I had detoxed from the caffeine and yet I was still having the headaches!  So I decided that maybe it had something to do with the Aspartame in the diet drinks.  I immediately stopped drinking anything with Aspartame in it and started drinking regular caffeine free Coke.  Now I know that people think it doesn't taste the same but to me, it does.  I am sure there is a little difference but it didn't take me long to get use to the taste and now I don't want anything else.
I have got to tell you that dropping the caffeine and the aspartame has changed my life.  I know that sounds silly but I am serious.  I have went from daily headaches to maybe one headache every two weeks and it can be controlled with a little bit of Advil.....which wasn't the case before!  Do you know what it is like being miserable with headaches on a daily basis and now not having them???  It is amazing!  I have also noticed that even though I still drink the caffeine free regular coke, I am not as sluggish as I was before.
My only issue is that when I go out to eat, no one has caffeine free regular coke so I have to resort to Sprite.  I'm not crazy about Sprite but I can handle it every now and then to keep those ugly headaches away.
I have been reading so much lately about how bad aspartame is for our bodies and I am so glad that I don't drink it anymore.  It has been so worth it.  I know you are thinking that you can't let go of your precious caffeine or diet drinks but you won't regret it!!!!  Trust me, it is life changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment